Sunday, July 31, 2011

"The Holy Bitch"

Thoughts On, About and by Women featuring Denise Linn




"I love my women friends. They comfort me during the hard times and celebrate with me during the splendid times. They are wonderful, passionate, compassionate and kind...and some of them are also occasionally considered "bitches". People have said to me, "Denise you are so nice, why do you have friends that act like bitches?". After hearing this comment, a number of times, I realized that I was subconsciously drawn to strong women who spoke their truth and weren't afraid to speak up for themselves....
The word "bitch" has an interesting history. It became a derogatory term in early Christendom because it was one of the most sacred titles of the goddess Artemis, who led a pack of hunting dogs. "Holy Bitches" were also found in ancient India as the revered Bitch Goddess Sarama, who led the Vedic dogs of death and rebirth...
I have grown to cherish cherish the word "bitch" and I even use an acronym for a woman who is "Being In Total Control of Herself".
Of course, there are nasty bitches, but the woman I'm describing is a "holy bitch." She is self assertive while at the same time maintaining her humor, dignity and grace. A holy bitch speaks for herself, yet she still has love, joy, and creativity in her life.
The greatest thing I learned from these friends is that you can communicate your truth clearly and compassionately without having to package it with a pink bow and "niceness."

~ Excerpted from "Secrets and Mysteries" by Denise Linn (This sub chapter entitled "Holy Bitch", is among one of my favorites in this book:)

No comments:

Post a Comment